The Lagonda Building is located within the core block area of downtown Springfield, Ohio, on the northwest corner of the intersection of Spring and High Streets. It is one of three properties at that intersection listed on the National Registry of Historic Places, and each represents an important thread in the fabric of American culture. Saint Raphael Church and the Warder Literacy Center represent religion and education, and The Lagonda Building reflects our community's late-19th-century attempt to positively influence social order. Construction was sponsored by a group of influential private citizens, and The Lagonda Club was established with the completion of the Lagonda Building in 1894. The club served as a gathering place for men of affairs to discuss issues of the day and resolve civic concerns.
The word Lagonda is a Shawnee Indian term meaning buck's horn and was used to refer to what is now Buck Creek long before Springfield's founding. The Shawnee chose Lagonda because the meandering path the creek follows resembles a buck’s antler. We could find no explanation for the name change, but due to the recreational and commercial importance of Buck/Lagonda Creek, both Buck and Lagonda have been used to imply significance for more than a century. Most recently with the creation of Buck Creek State Park and Clarence Brown Reservoir (Lagonda Lake), both have gained regional prominence. Other instances of Lagonda used in titles include a hotel, an avenue, a manufacturing concern, an athletic field, a school, a park, an automobile, and an automobile enthusiast club.